Sunday, November 30, 2008

Check out this Blog: Composite: thoughts on poetics & tech

It happens all too often. “..Cry me a river... A lot of people with disabilities have to put up with that shit all the time, every day, and tolerate all sorts of things, because they have to, to survive.” As a nurse, it amazes me to see that many people-- are quite ignorant and indifferent & unable and unwilling to discern a person’s level of ability. Some take-charge-of-the-situation-folks are assuming and condescending, struggling to maintain power because it eludes them in another area of their life. And well—we know what happens : ASS-U-ME. Enduring an episode of dehumanizing behavior, followed by a deluge of onlookers sympathetic looks & remarks---makes a person feel really small and helpless. I can only imagine the rage you felt when you struggled with the gate agent—a real physical & mental altercation. A similar situation happened to my daughter who is autistic. Loud unexpected noises, eye contact, bright lights, unintended physical contact (like a harried person bumping into her) have sent her over the edge-its over stimulation. She wants to lead a “normal” life without having a scarlet letter “D” for disability hindering the progress she has worked so hard to attain. I really applaud your bravado and thank you for sharing your true emotions.

Thanks for hosting a great contest as well. I would love to win a computer for myself as we have one old, rickety desktop for a family of 7. I am actively pursuing a Bachelors degree in Nursing @ Indiana State University (online), and a laptop would be more than ideal.

I would love to gift a computer to my daughter who is working diligently in establishing independent functionality as a young adult autistic. I would also love to gift a needy family through the Endependence Center (http://www.endependence.org/) a wonderful, local organization that has been instrumental in providing transitional services for my daughter and many other families. Lastly, I would love to gift a computer to a co-worker & friend who is a struggling, single Mom. She and I have promised to see each other through acquiring our degrees together and this would be a blessed gift.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

♫ Say what you need to say ♫

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations