Sherri Shepherd's PERMISSION SLIPS: Every Woman's Guide to Giving Herself a Break ( (ISBN 9780446547420)) is a hilarious take on learning lessons from your mistakes. Covering topics such as "It's Jesus or Jail," "Marriage, the Hard Way," "Children: The Gift You Can't Give Back," and "All the Things I Don't Know...And All the Things I Definitely Do," stand-up comedienne, actress, and ABC's The View co-host Sherri Shepherd, comically chronicles her struggles to keep up with the many roles-professional, wife, mother, daughter, and friend-that women must play in today's world. Sherri urges women to pursue their most important dreams and to never give up, but also let's readers know that it's okay to give themselves "permission slips" when things don't always work out the way they want them to.
Sherri takes you through the journey of her childhood, her struggle to pursue her dreams, and even her divorce. At the end of each blurb, Sherri encourages women to give themselves a permission slip when something does not go the way they intended-ie; her addiction to food and her struggles with diabetes.
I wholeheartedly agree with Shepherd's assertion that women generally are too hard on themselves -- expecting too much, stressing too much, not allowing themselves to enjoy life as much as they should. The idea of giving yourself permission to be human, accept yourself, and relax a little is a great concept. Chapters cover such topics as "Doing Everything Wrong," "Permission to Date, Love, Marry, and Divorce the Wrong Guy," "Permission to Pursue Your Dreams," and "Permission to Be Less than Perfect." You get the idea -- Shepherd is telling women that stuff happens, deal with it, clean up the mess, do better next time-and don't forget to laugh about it. I think most women will be able to find and identify themselves in some portion of Shepherd's book. This book had me laughing uncontrollably and obnoxiously at times (enough to wake up the hubs) I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope you will, too.
Permission Slips is available in hardcover, audio CD and digital eBook format.$24.95-$29.99
Five (5) Multiple Blessings readers will win a copy of Permission Slips by Sherri Shepherd
You MUST Follow me by doing do one or both of the first requirements listed below, include the info in your initial comment, this MUST be done accordingly before all other additional entries will be considered because I will be checking, thanks in advance! If you do not have a blogger account with an active email on file, please leave your email addy in your comment, (like this: Twincere(at)gmail(dot)com--it prevents spam bots from picking it up). If I can't contact you, how are ya gonna know you won? Winners will be notified via email and have 48 hours to contact me, or risk forfeiting the prize and another winner will have to be chosen. Good Luck! Deadline to enter is 11:59 pm EST on Saturday, October 31, 2009. Winners will be chosen via Random.Org
- 1 Entry–Follow @Twincere on Twitter and leave a comment on this post with your Twitter name so that I can verify that you are a real person. Real people are cool. Spambots suck. If you follow already, you know that we're cool! 【ツ】
- 3 Entries–Follow Multiple Blessings on blogger/google friend connect.
- 3 Entries–Follow Mommy's Multiple Mayhem on blogger/google friend connect.
- 1 Extra Entry for each Tweet about the contest up to six times a day, leaving a separate comment on this post linking to each tweet. Please do not spam your twitter followers though, okay? You can copy this if you'd like: @Twincere has 5 hard copies of The View co-host, Sherri Shepherd's new book-Permission Slips-to giveaway! http://tinyurl.com/yh4c38b
- 3 Extra Entries –for each non-giveaway post you visit on either of my blogs and comment on, please leave the name/title of the post that you commented in 3 separate comments in the comment section of this post below. Epigrammatic comments with “enter me", “me too”, or “count me in” and so forth will not be considered eligible and will be deleted. No limit, please list each separately.
- 3 Extra Entries – Favorite Multiple Blessings in Technorati and leave your ID name in a separate comment (you may click the green blog reactions link on my sidebar to get there)
- 3 Extra Entries– for each of my blogs that you add to your blog roll or link listing.
- ✮ I ♥LOVE♥ Online-Sweepstakes.com! I love to win stuff and want my readers to win, too! If you happen to be one of my OLS peeps, leave me your OLS screen name and friend me on OLS (I'm GonnaWinBig) for 5 additional DAILY entries. Please leave 5 separate comments each day! ✮
- 3 Extra Entries –for each of my current contests that you enter, up until the end of this particular promotion. Be sure to tell me in your comment below which contest(s) you entered.
- 3 Extra Entries – Subscribe to Multiple Blessings (or let me know if you already are) in a separate comment
- 3 Extra Entries – Subscribe to Mommy's Multiple Mayhem (or let me know if you already are) in a separate comment
- 5 Extra Entries – Tell us what other books published by Hyperion or the Hachette Book Group that you may be interested in for yourself or gift to someone else.unlimited entry opportunity
- 1 Extra Entry for each of my current contests that you enter.Let me know which ones you entered.
- 5 Extra Entries- for displaying my button on your blog. Get 15 Extra Entries if you decide to display both of my blog buttons on your blog. (see the right hand side bar for codes)
Make sure you leave a VALID email address.
I will not search beyond your profile to find you.That is a part of entering and following rules. Thanks.
You have 48 hours to respond to your winning email.
When entering a giveaway, you MUST follow the Required Entry.
Epigrammatic entries with “enter me", “me too”, or “count me in” and so forth will be deleted.
All negative comments such as “This item is not even worth winning” will be deleted and you will receive ONE warning. Should you violate that warning you will then be banned from the site.
I allow entries Per Email address.
So long as you follow the initial rules and guidelines, you may enter using one or all of your email addresses.
If you have questions about these rules or any other questions/comments, please email me: Twincere@Gmail.com
*I received a book to read and keep for this review from Hachette Book Group, but no monetary compensation. The views and opinions expressed in this post are my own.*
*Disclosure: As the owner of this site, I am sometimes compensated to provide my opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though I may have received compensation for certain content/review posts or advertisements, I always give my honest opinions based on my own thorough research, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this site are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the company, provider or party in question. As the owner of this site, I respect my readers and contributors privacy, and will NEVER spam, sell, or rent any aspect of readers/contributors personal information. EVER.